Tuesday, May 31, 2011

On Lollipops

Today after lunch a coworker gave me one of these:



A Tootsie Roll Pop, of course; ranked highly among candy considered "classic." No, I do not know how many licks it would take to reach the center. Various studies range substantially among the hundreds. As I unwrapped it, a hallmark of childhood revealed itself. Back then (and surely still now), it was generally accepted that when you see that Indian with a star, you make a wish.

It was at this juncture, with bugs to fix in my remaining 5 busy hours of work at my job on a Tuesday, with my much stricter interpretation of the world around me, and with my decreased tolerance for superstition and nonsense, that I sat staring at this wrapper. I sat staring at my past self, wondering what part of this, and me, I would be taking with me into the future.

In a fond kind of way, I can mutter something to myself and toss it. And that may be just what I do. For now, though, it sits next to me, staring with a single tear falling from its crumpled corner.

Hah, just kidding. I'm not at all bothered by attraction to skepticism in recent years. But this little thing did make me thing far more than a piece of trash should.

No comments:

Post a Comment