Thursday, October 28, 2010

On Digital Legos

The Minecraft server in which I've poured hours and hours into may be getting wiped for updates, corruption, the works. It's got me a little depressed.

I mean, I knew this game was in Alpha, and I read that Notch said not to get attached to what you build. But I think I did.

Or, at least, I didn't have the extreme fragility of the world in my mind when playing. I assumed, given the massive infrastructure and buildings around me (the bank, roads, abundant resources, gigantic castles, tiki statue) that this was built to last. Since I came in and bought the game a bit later than others, I assumed this had gone on long enough to be assured it would remain intact. Or, at least, be informed before it all came crashing down.

But now it might all be wiped. There are positives to this, of course: I can explore the world myself this time, claim my land, help build up communal areas. That's great; that's fine. But I'll have to recollect resources, too. And rebuild anything I liked. And, at this point, have nothing to show for all my previous time.

What would make this all okay would to be able to get on once more and record my creations. If that can't happen, at least I can remember what I did...

  • Built a cozy wooden house on the shoreline
  • Built underground water channels
  • Created a farm outside my house
  • Created an underground resource and storage center
  • Built a large underground staircase with flowing water
  • Started an underwater lake, but didn't finish
  • Built a tree house; burnt it down
  • Built a path from spawn to my house, under my house, and past it
  • Built a cool structure out in the water that became the entrance to my mine
  • Built a large Chess board over the water, with piece designs and a high view point
Of course, I have to wonder what the guys who made massive pyramids and floating fortresses are feeling right now. I guess a lot of my time is in resources that didn't have much to show for themselves yet.

The biggest thing I hope for is that this isn't a regular occurrence. I hope my interest in pure creativity isn't hindered by instability.

No comments:

Post a Comment