Monday, October 18, 2010

On Capricorn and the Future

1. It's Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Were you aware?

Now I'm all for promoting... I guess, awareness of important issues like this, including giving money for research into finding a cure and all that. I mean, who could possibly be against such a thing?

I just have a problem with the unfortunate state of other cancers. You're never going to see a Colon Cancer Awareness Month, or, if you actually do, it won't be nearly as popular. Brown ribbons just don't fly as well as pink. I guess I'm bothered that money and attention (Go Tech) is spent on issues with such frivolous impetus or meaning. Breasts are often objects of sexual desire. Great. Brain tumors and Leukemia are pretty bad, too.

But, shit man: tits!

I won't go into nor do I know the numbers on what's worse; that's not the point. It's just that focus shouldn't be swayed on something so irrelevant or silly.

Also, it irks me a bit that there's this sly, reserved sexual undertone to the whole thing. It's got women being coy in the name of "awareness", while everyone acknowledges how lovely breasts are in suggestive ways. It's cute, I guess, but do cut the crap eventually. I fear this just gives another reason for women to have repressed, withheld desires, or, rather, perpetuate the idea that they should. Because, if you do, you can use it as a means to an end, whether to get a free beer or a nice dinner. Lame.

2. This Cracked article hits pretty much every issue I'm concerned with in the future. I highly recommend it.

It's almost too much to hit in one post, and since I don't have a semblance of an answer (neither does he), I'll just let the link stand for itself. Someday I'll talk about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment