Monday, July 4, 2011

On Looping


This song is absolutely beautiful. I could listen to it over and over. And I do. And I have. And I am, right now. I listen to it so many times in a row that I lose count. The plays meld and mix with the time, only briefly differentiating themselves at the ending pause.

I'm thinking a lot about The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimaya. I finished watching the "Endless 8" episodes, which were a profound waste of time. They could have taken it to such greater heights, but they did not, and ultimately left it as a prime example of filler.

But the looping motif only serves as a distraction from the real issue that won't leave my brain. It's the longing for such an ideal world, full of excitement and enjoyment and strange occurrences.

I think I'm more similar to Haruhi that I realize, except that I don't always have the same outgoing nature, much less her more... eccentric abilities.

I'm constantly battling with myself over admitting that I would prefer such an imaginary place. I would prefer to know someone like her. I refuse to use the word "escape" when referring to any fictional place I would immerse myself in. I don't want to be dissatisfied with the real.

Maybe I just haven't met the right person or found the right way of living. I just hope that my last year of college life isn't the last where I am among friends, where I am inclined to do fun things. I'm not afraid of 8-5, but I am afraid of the desolate weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Your weekend is what you make of it. You just have to be willing to seek opportunities to meet people out and be ready to take them when they present themselves. Easier said than done to be sure, but there should be no reason to be afraid. I'm confident you'll be among friends wherever you land :)

    ReplyDelete